The award-winning Talking TV software was developed in partnership with digital TV chip giant, STMicroelectronics, and is a derivative of the technology cooperation with the UK's largest blind charity, the Royal National Institute of the Blind (the RNIB.)
The product is a digital set top box designed to provide speech-based TV programming guides and set up menus using advanced text to speech software. Live data such as the narrative for programs, menu items and menu layouts are clearly described by human voice, known as the 'Talking TV.'
Talking TV Software Module
Ocean Blue can supply Talking TV as a complete solution including the text to speech voice engine and accessible User Interface (UI). We can also supply the module as a “software plug in” which allows manufacturers to include accessibility features as a value added feature to already deployed STB and TV models.
Technical Features & Functions
• Advanced text to speech software
• Simplified User Interface (UI)
• Text-to-Speech beginner / expert mode
• Ability to change the verbosity of the speech
• Filtering by programmes that contain subtitles and/or audio description (AD)
• Changeable choice of font size and 3 high-contrast colour schemes
• Grid view and List view EPG
• Advanced remote control designed for ease of use with larger, high contrast buttons
• Remote Control usage training providing audio feedback when buttons are pressed
• Context-sensitive help pages
• Remote control low battery warning
Australian Help-box Scheme
The Talking Set Top Box, Hills HD94003G, was developed with the assistance of the Australian Government and Vision Australia. As part of the Digital Switchover scheme the Australian government have adopted the text to speech software and is investing millions to provide visually impaired and elderly users with digital Talking set-top boxes that contain Ocean Blue’s award winning, advanced Talking TV software.
Award Accredited Talking TV Software
Talking TV has won a number of awards including the IABM Award for Excellence in Design and Innovation, as well as the CSI Highly Commended Award for Best Customer Technology. It has also most recently won the prestigious TV Innovation award in the Set-top box Innovation category at CES 2012. It was also shortlisted for the IMS TV Technology awards and a Royal Television Society award.